Tuesday 10 November 2015

Surprise and the Sunday Times

I hadn't known that the Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year Award had been revived, or that I've now been in the UK long enough to be considered a British writer by their standards and therefor be in the running, so I was more than a little shocked to find out that The Shore has made the shortlist. So now I will do my happy dance, but not for long because a shortlist means skittering down to London quite a bit over the next few weeks. One of those skitters is going to be for an evening at Foyles Bookshop on Monday the 23 of November, which will include reading and conversation from the four shortlisted authors and beer and pizza for the audience; it's free, but you have to go to their website and reserve a ticket, I'm guessing so that they'll have enough pizza if real life is anything like uni. 

The other three authors on the shortlist are Sarah Howe for Loop of Jade, Sunjeev Sahota for The Year of the Runaways, and Ben Fergusson for The Spring of Kasper Meier. Peters, Fraser, and Dunlop, the agency that is in part responsible for the prize, has bios and blurbs on their website for the curious, and two of the judges, Peter Kemp and Sarah Waters, appeared on Open Book this past weekend to discuss the books.

And I'm personally amused that the three women involved are all called Sara(h).

No comments:

Post a Comment