Saturday 7 November 2015

Parisot in retrospect: the most fun I've had in ages.

A few Fridays ago we got up at about three in the morning so we could get a taxi to the station to get the train to Gatwick to get the plane to Toulouse to drive to Parisot. Ok, Dave was the one doing the driving because if the idea of me driving anywhere other than the wide, straight, empty roads of the USA doesn't scare everyone (besides my mother) it should. I've been to Paris a few more times than I'd have liked, but I'd never seen France proper before this trip; all the fuss that people make over the place finally makes sense.

Parisot itself is a relatively small place, which reminded me of the crossroads where my parents live: the local restaurant, a few public buildings, houses tucked away from the main road. Except there was also a bakery with pain au chocolate so good I would willingly eat nothing else for the rest of my life. And mountains. And I didn't have the feeling that I'd be run off with a shotgun if I got too near someone's front porch. So, in essence, it was nothing like where my parents live unless you count the crossroads.

Since we were so far afield the speakers, the organisers, and a lot of the attendees ate together for most of the three days of the festival, which meant that the book chat began with the first arrival and didn't end until after the final speaker departed. Who was, by the by, Kate Mosse, who I'd never gotten to see before and would walk barefoot on hot blacktop to see again, talking about the importance of place to her Languedoc trilogy and her preparation and writing of The Taxidermist's Daughter. Another of the authors who spoke that weekend was Helen Dunmore, who I'd be equally willing to walk barefoot on hot blacktop to see again and who I found myself sitting next to at lunch more frequently that I'd thought possible. Though I was captivated by what they both said, it was interesting for me to watch the way in which they conducted both their talks and themselves. Like it or not, everyone needs a public face, authors probably more than other people because our private faces tend to be wholly unsuited to outdoor wear. And while plenty of people have shared their opinions on what that public face shouldn't look like (don't 'um', don't curse, don't say you have a grudge against Philip Pullman, etc.) not many have given indications what it should look like. So getting the chance to watch - Mosse with birdlike energy and bounciness, Dunmore with calm power - how women that know what they're doing do it was possibly the best part of the weekend.

After the glorious weekend of food and books we had a few days spare to poke around, so we went to Albi to see the cathedral and hear about religious oppression, and then we went to Carcassonne and heard about more religious oppression, so by the time I was getting back on the plane I'd about had it with religion in general and popes in particular. And immediately upon returning I came down with a cold, and the day after that cleared up I came down with a fever, so I'm not really sure what day it is or what's happened since France; the only sure thing is that I would desperately like to go to the festival again some year.

(If I can get my act together and get my hands on David's camera I might sling up some pictures of it all)

1 comment:

  1. What a pleasure to meet you in Parisot! I've just finished reading "The Shore." Magnificent writing! I'm anxious to read your newest

    ReplyDelete