Wednesday 6 January 2016

Office!

Last April Dave and I started fixing up one of the back bedrooms with the ultimate hope that it would be turned into an office so I could stop cluttering up the dining room table and Dave could stop throwing away my notes by accident. There were holes in the walls the size of my torso, and the floor wasn't level, so we figured it wouldn't be easy. Then we found out that the entire back half of the house was a not-quite-legal addition, done in the middle of the night by a previous owner, presumably while under the influence of something illegal.


The only straight lines in that picture are the books. 

The room contains not a single ninety degree angle. The walls bow. The ceiling bows. The floor ripples. Neither the ceiling nor the floor actually meets the walls. The skirting boards were hung using adhesive AND six inch nails, like they were possessed and in danger of flying off the wall during the full moon.

The coffee cup on the desk in both pictures should give you an idea of how big the room is('nt).

Which is why, when I finished putting the sealant around the seams on the new skirting board at the end of December and Dave said "I promise I'll paint the trim as soon as it gets warm," I said, "Forget it, it's done."

Lazarus has been installed on the windowsill; of course it's done.

To my surprise, it's suddenly so much easier to get work done. Possibly because when I close the door with me in the office the dirty dishes stop existing, and when I close the door with me outside the office the work stops existing. Maybe the door is magic. Or maybe I should remember what I know about how human beings work and quit being surprised by psychology.


 All the breakables got moved up here last week so they wouldn't fall victim to New Year's Eve, most notably Dave's collection of resin dragons. At first I was worried they'd crowd the books - so far we've only moved in the ones that were sitting in literal piles in corners of other rooms, languishing for lack of shelf space - but they're starting to grow on me.
 

Two of about a dozen. They add something... I wouldn't say 'menace,' but then again, I wouldn't not say 'menace.'



No comments:

Post a Comment