Friday 18 October 2013

Block it out.

I've never outlined a novel - which probably shows glaringly if you read the early drafts of The Shore. I make rough plans some times, then lose them, forget them, have bad things happen to the notebook they were written in.

At our first meeting, Henry told me to rough out a plan for the book I'll be writing for the 'Creative' requirement of the degree. Which seemed like a pretty simple task until I looked at the paper. How do you plot a non-linear timeline in multiple voices?

This is supposed to be a learning experience, and heaven knows that I need to learn how to plot out ahead of time (so that I stop forgetting what setups at the beginning are waiting to pay off at the end), but if no one ever hears from me again, it probably means that I was never meant to outline and my attempts have opened a mystic portal into another dimension and I will never be seen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment